Whitehill House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The tobacco merchant John Glassford (1715-1783) built a house on his Whitehill estate in the mid-18th century and subsequent owners added to and embellished it. By the 1870s the mansion and its estate had been acquired by Alexander Dennistoun (1790-1874) who demolished the building and laid out the grounds for houses in his new suburb, "Dennistoun". Whitehill Street was named for the old estate.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants, Whitehill House