Garscube House photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870. The house was designed by William Burn in the style of an old English manor and built on the bank of the River Kelvin in 1827 to replace an earlier mansion.
The mansion was built for Sir Archibald Campbell (d 1846), whose family had owned the Garscube estate since 1687. Campbell was the husband of Helen Wallace of Elderslie (1712-1767) and their eldest son Sir Ilay Campbell (1734-1823) became a celebrated judge, Lord Advocate and member of the Glasgow District of Burghs in 1784. He was Lord Rector of the University of Glasgow in 1799 and was created a baronet in 1808.
The University of Glasgow purchased Garscube House and the estate in 1948. The house was demolished in 1954 and Wolfson Hall of Residence was erected on the site in 1965. A veterinary hospital was established on the estate in 1957 and a veterinary school in 1970.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, dry rot, Garscube Estate, Garscube House, mansions, parks, River Kelvin, University of Glasgow, Vetinary Hospitals, Vetinary Schools, West of Scotland Science Park, Wolfson Hall