Farme Castle photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The oldest part of the house, the tower, may have been erected in the 15th century.
Part of the ancient Royal domain of "Ferme" was held by the Crawford's in the middle ages. In the 19th century the Farie family developed a profitable coal mining business on the estate, at Farme Colliery, and it is thought that the house was greatly enlarged and improved by James Farie (d 1876).
The house was demolished in the 1960s and an industrial estate, named for the castle, has been laid out on part of the old grounds.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
castles, coal mining, country houses, Farme Castle, Farme Castle Estate, Farme Colliery, industrial estates, mansions