Calderpark House at Broomhouse near Bailiieston, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The Easter Daldowie estate was held by the influential Stewarts of Minto until the mid-17th century. Calderpark House was built on the estate by the sugar refiner James McNair at the beginning of the 19th century.
The mansion was demolished in the early 1930s owing to subsidence caused by coal mining in the area. The Zoological Society of Glasgow and West of Scotland acquired the estate in 1939 and Calderpark Zoo opened there in 1946.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Calder Park House, Calderpark House, Calderpark Zoo, coal mines, coal mining, country houses, Easter Daldowie estate, mansions, sugar merchants, sugar refiners, Zoological Society of Glasgow and West of Scotland