The Great Western Bridge at Kelvinbridge, looking west along Great Western Road c 1900. The bridge (the third to be erected at this crossing of the River Kelvin) was built 1889-1891.
On the far side of the bridge on the left is the domed tower of Caledonian Mansions, the ornate block of shops and tenement houses designed in the Arts and Crafts style by James Miller and erected in 1895 for the Caledonian Railway Co. The company’s Kelvinbridge Station was located on the river bank below.
Reference: Glasgow University Library Special Collections, e190
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Arts and Crafts, bridges, Caledonian Mansions, Caledonian Railway Co, etchings, Great Western Bridge, houses, Kelvinbridge Station, railway stations, River Kelvin, shops, tenements