William Drury's private lunatic asylum, Garngad House, 1827. The spire of Glasgow Cathedral is visible in the background of this view by James Hopkirk.
In 1814 William Drury came to Glasgow from St Luke's Hospital in London to become the first Superintendent of the Glasgow Lunatic Asylum in Dobbie's Loan. Seven years later Drury and his wife, the Asylum's matron, resigned and acquired the private lunatic asylum in Garngad House that had previously belonged to Dr James Hill.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
gardens, Garngad House, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Lunatic Asylum, Glasgow Royal Lunatic Asylum, lunatic asylums, matrons, spires, superintendents