Port Dundas from the south east in 1827.
Port Dundas was built in the 1780s as the hilltop terminus of the Forth and Clyde Canal. James Hopkirk's dramatic portrayal shows the masts of the boats in the canal basin clustered high above the city and the surrounding countryside. The basin is hemmed in by distilleries, factories and other industrial buildings.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
boats, canal basins, canals, distilleries, factories, Forth and Clyde Canal, sailing boats