A bricklayer at work on houses being built for Glasgow Corporation Housing Department at Merrylee in 1952. He was employed by the Direct Labour Organisation to help build the 622 houses on the estate.
Bricklaying was one of the core skills of the building industry in heavy demand during the years of the post-war housing boom. From 1947, the Housing Department sent apprentices for one full day a week to classes at the Stow College of Building and Allied Trades and the Decorative Trades Institute, where they received a mixture of theoretical and practical training.
The Merrylee estate was built in an area between Newlands and Cathcart, to the north of Merrylee Road. By the 21st century the area was more usually described as Newlands, with Merrylee being more commonly identified as the northern part of Giffnock, across the city boundary in East Renfrewshire.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries, Information and Learning
Allied Trades and the Decorative Trades Institute, apprentices, apprenticeships, brickies, bricklayers, bricklaying, bricks, builders, bunnets, construction workers, council houses, Direct Labour Organisation, fashions, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, Stow College of Building and Allied Trades