The Burgh of Kinning Park did not have a registered coat of arms, but the arms reproduced here were used on official seals. The motto, Industry, is symbolised by the beehive, while the globe indicates the worldwide connections of the burgh.
The area between Govan and Glasgow, which takes its name from Kinning House, was still largely rural when landowner Sir John Maxwell drew up plans for a garden suburb in the 1830s. It was soon dominated by new tenements, built to house workers employed by expanding industries on the south side of the river. Industrial development culminated in the opening in 1900 of Prince's Dock, the largest on the Clyde.
In common with many areas to the south of Glasgow, Kinning Park sought police burgh status to protect it from takeover by the city. This was granted in 1871. Glasgow's expansion of 1891 was successfully resisted, but Kinning Park finally succumbed to pressure from its huge neighbour and was annexed by the city in 1905.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 327148
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
annexations, beehives, boundary extensions, burghs, coats of arms, globes, heraldry, Kinning House, Prince's Dock, seals