A cluster of four bridges across the River Clyde, c 1985, looking north west over the city centre from the south bank of the river. The Merchants' Steeple is prominent in the centre of the picture, on the north bank. Much of the empty space beyond (the site of the demolished St Enoch Station) would soon be filled by the St Enoch Centre.
The building on Glasgow Green, front right, is the boathouse used by Glasgow Rowing Club and by Glasgow University Boat Club. The Edinburgh-Glasgow Universities Boat Race is held on the Clyde, over 2.5 kilometres from the top of the straight at Rutherglen Bridge to the Monument on Glasgow Green.
Looking downriver, the first structure is the tidal weir and pipe bridge, built 1896-1901. It marks the upper tidal limit of the river. Sluice gates control the flow of water to give a constant depth upstream and prevent erosion of the riverbanks.
The other bridges are the Albert Bridge (1861-1871); the City of Glasgow Union Railway Bridge (1897-99), which carried railway traffic to and from St Enoch Station and replaced an earlier bridge of 1870 and the Victoria Bridge (1851-1854), the city's oldest surviving bridge across the Clyde.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 1, Planning Department
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Albert Bridge, boathouses, bridges, City of Glasgow Union Railway Bridge, Edinburgh-Glasgow Universities Boat Race, Glasgow Green, Glasgow Rowing Club, Glasgow University Boat Club, Merchants' Steeple, panoramas, pipe bridges, River Clyde, sluice gates, St Enoch Shopping Centre, St Enoch Station, tidal weirs, Victoria Bridge