The church of St George's-in-the-Fields in St George's Road, Woodside, c 1978. A gable-end at the rear of the classical style building rises above its front, giving the mistaken impression that the building has a second pediment. Above the portico is an elaborate tympanum, Christ Feeding The Multitude. It was created by sculptor William Birnie Rhind and depicts the parable of the loaves and fishes.
The first church of St George's-in-the-Fields was linked to the parish church of St George. It opened in 1824 in what was a largely rural area, hence the name. The building was destroyed by fire in 1884 and its Church of Scotland congregation appointed brothers Hugh and David Barclay as the architects for its replacement. The memorial stone was laid on 23 May 1885, and the building opened on 7 Feb 1886. The church continued in use until 1979, and lay derelict until 1987 when it was converted into private flats.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 1, Architecture
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
apartments, Church of Scotland, churches, flats, Ionic, pediments, porticos, sculptures, St George's-in-the-Fields Church, tympani, tympanums