A selection of products of the firm David & John Anderson. The firm was described in their advertisement in the Commercial year book of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce & Manufactures in 1915 as manufacturers of "the original Scotch plaid ginghams, novelties in cotton dress goods, and highest grade shirtings" at Atlantic Mills, Bridgeton. Zephyr was a new fabric originated by the firm.
Anderson & Lawrie, cotton manufacturers, was founded in 1822 and taken over in 1839 by brothers David and John Anderson. The Atlantic Mills were built in 1864. Under chairman D B Anderson, D & J Anderson expanded in the early 20th century, becoming a private limited company in 1911. Atlantic Mills was a major employer in the East End with 700 looms. The firm concentrated on the manufacture of high-quality dress fabrics with short production runs. Their shirts, in particular, acquired a strong reputation at the top end of the market. D & J Anderson was absorbed by the House of Fraser group in 1959.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 381
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Anderson & Lawrie, Atlantic Mills, cotton manufacturers, cotton mills, D & J Anderson, David & John Anderson, fabrics, ginghams, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, House of Fraser, looms, shirtings, shirts, textile industries, textiles, zephyr