A pulpit sand-glass or hour-glass from Glasgow Cathedral.
Sand-glasses were attached to pulpits in order to make sure that ministers' sermons weren't excessively long and thus tedious for their parishoners. By 1908 this example was in the possession of Glasgow Corporation.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
church services, Glasgow Cathedral, hour-glasses, pulpits, sand-glasses, sermons