William Simpson's impression of the interior of the old Gorbals Baronial Hall, as it appeared on 23 August 1858.
By the time Simpson visited in 1858 a part of the hall (with the neighbouring chapel) had been converted into a public house, the Old Gorbals Wine and Spirit Vaults. However, the ornate ceiling and cornicing and the statuettes on the walls are reminders of the building's former glories, as the home of one of Glasgow's most prominent men of affairs. The initials S G E and D A B on the ceiling were part of the original decoration and stood for Sir George Elphinstone and his wife Dame Agnes Boyd.
The Old Baronial Hall was built by Elphinstone in 1601. Following his death in 1634 the building passed down through several owners including Robert Douglas, Viscount Belhaven (who added a distinctive square tower), Gorbals Town Council and Sir James Turner. It was demolished in the early 1870s.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bailies, cornices, cornicing, demolition, drinking, Elphinstone Chapel, Elphinstone Mansion, Elphinstone Tower, inns, Old Baronial Hall, public houses, pubs, statuettes, taverns