Parkhead School on Westmuir Street, 1970s. The earliest part of this school was built in 1878. It was designed by Hugh MacLure, who also designed the adjacent block erected in 1887.
From its beginning in 1873 the Glasgow School Board set up a range of school fees to ensure that schooling was cheaper in poorer areas of the city. In other parts of Scotland, boards generally charged a flat rate for all schools under their control.
By 1990 the school had closed and the building was occupied by the Parkhead Careers Service.
Reference: D-ED 5/29/8/157
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Glasgow School Board, Parkhead Careers Service, Parkhead Primary School, Parkhead Public School, primary schools, school fees