Dennistoun Public School on Meadowpark Street, 1916. The school was designed in a distinctive 17th century style by James Salmon & Son and opened in 1883.
The school played an important role in the early development of secondary education in Glasgow when, in 1885, it was one of thirteen selected to admit pupils with bursaries to pay for secondary education. These children would remain in education for two or three years longer than the other pupils.
From 1901, school attendance was made compulsory for children over 5 years of age. Due to the rapid increases in the populations of areas like Dennistoun, however, many schools had waiting lists of up to 200 infants. Attendances at Glasgow schools did not rise above 40 per cent of the city's child population in any year of the Glasgow School Board's existence, 1873-1919.
There are chalk marks on the ground on the near side of the street, where children have been playing.
Reference: D-ED 5/26/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bursaries, Dennistoun Primary School, Dennistoun Public School, Glasgow School Board, James Salmon & Son, primary schools, school rolls, secondary schools, street games