An advertisement from the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1859-1860 for Henry Field & Son, ironmongers and gasfitters in Buchanan Street.
The first gas lighting was introduced to Glasgow in 1805 and the firm's first gas supply company, the Glasgow Gas Light Co, was founded in 1817. A rival firm, the City and Suburban Gas Co of Glasgow was incorporated in 1843. There was a huge demand for gas heating and lighting in homes, shops and offices in the mid-19th century, and the services of firms such as Field's were in great demand to fit pipes, meters and other equipment. The city's gas manufacturing and supply industry was placed under municipal control in 1869.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1859-60
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, directories, gas companies, gas works, gasfitters, Henry Field & Son, ironmongers, Post Office Glasgow directory