A postcard of Cathkin Braes Park from 1906 showing a typical tree-lined path. The land lies to the south-east of Carmunnock and nearly 4 miles beyond the city boundary at the time of its acquisition in 1886. It was gifted to the city by James Dick, who had made his fortune manufacturing rubberised soles for shoes from gutta-percha (giving rise to the nickname the "Gutty Park"). Mr Dick specified that no ball games should be allowed in the park and that the natural features of the site be maintained.
The park's highest point is "Queen Mary's Seat", 300 feet above sea level, which offers spectacular views to the south and north. One wonders if there is a high vantage point to the south of the Clyde that has not been associated with Mary Queen of Scots!
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boot & shoe makers, Cathkin Braes Park, gutta-percha, Gutty Park, parks, postcards, Queen Mary's Seat, rubberised soles, shoes, woodlands