The Pointhouse, an inn and tavern on the east bank of the River Kelvin at its confluence with the Clyde, 1815. The Pointhouse was reached by the Ferry Road from Partick, and the chain-hauled Govan Ferry carried passengers across the 450 yards of the Clyde which separated it from Water Row in Govan.
During the 1840s Thomas B Sneath opened a shipyard at Pointhouse, which was subsequently acquired by A & J Inglis. The house remained standing in the midst of the yard for many years.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
A & J Inglis, chain ferries, Govan Ferry, inns, Old Pointhouse, Point House, Pointhouse, River Clyde, River Kelvin, rivers, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, shipyards, taverns, Thomas B Sneath