D O Hill's impression of Charles Tennant & Co's St Rollox Chemical Works and Iron Foundry on the day of the opening of the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, September 1831. The men on the left are celebrating the opening with what appears to be a boozy picnic.
The Stephenson locomotives which operated on the new line, the St Rollox and the George Stephenson, are portrayed passing each other, although as one set off from Garnkirk and the other from Townhead that day, it is unlikely that they met at St Rollox.
The tower and spire of Glasgow Cathedral and the Knox monument are visible in the far distance, right.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC 385.09 HIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Charles Tennant & Co, church spires, drinking, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, George Stephenson, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow, Garnkirk & Coatbridge Railway, Knox Monument, locomotives, picnics, railways, St Rollox, St Rollox Chemical Works, St Rollox Iron Foundry, towers, trains