A view of Glasgow from the south bank of the River Clyde, reproduced by a pupil of the Foulis Academy from John Slezer's Theatrum Scotiae of 1693. Slezer (d 1714) was a Dutch engineer and engraver who settled in Scotland and was commissioned to produce a pictorial survey of the country. He engraved three different views of Glasgow.
To the left is Glasgow Bridge, reputedly erected by Bishop Rae in the mid-14th century. A carriage is crossing from the Gorbals and the old city port or gate at the foot of the Bridgegate can be seen at the northern end. By 1776 only the three central arches of the bridge remained open, after the others were closed up to help reduce the width of the river. The bridge was demolished in 1847 and Victoria Bridge erected in its place.
The tallest spire in the picture is the one added to the Merchants' Hall in 1665.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 2/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bridges, Foulis Academy, Foulis Collection, gates, Glasgow Bridge, horses and carriages, Merchants' Spire, ports, River Clyde, sailing boats, spires, Theatrum Scotiae, Tolbooth Steeple, Tron Steeple, Victoria Bridge