This engraving depicts a view from c 1820 of buildings on Stockwell Street opposite Buchanan Court which was named after James Buchanan, one of the partners in the West Indies merchants Dennistoun, Buchanan & Co
The sign above the open door to the left of the image reads "Sinclar Evan." The door in the centre has a sign advertising "Penny Ales" and is probably the entrance to a tavern. The sign above the door of the building on the right identifies the home or premises of Andrew Hill. Note the crow-stepped gables, the wall-mounted street lamp and the small-paned windows on the buildings.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Buchanan Court, crow-stepped gables, Dennistoun, Buchanan and Company, inns, merchants, pubs, signs, street lamps, taverns, traders, West Indies Houses, West Indies merchants