Offices and works of Bell & Bain, printers, publishers and bookbinders in Mitchell Street, 1964.
The firm was established in 1831 by the partners James Bell and Andrew Bain. Their premises were in Bell Street, from where they subsequently moved to Royal Exchange Square and then to St Enoch Square. When St Enoch Station was built, they found new premises in Mitchell Street.
Bell & Bain have made an important contribution to printing in Glasgow, with many works on the city's history bearing their imprint. A large number of books and pamphlets printed by the company are preserved in the Andrew Bain Memorial Collection, the library of the co-founder that was presented to the Mitchell Library by his son.
In 1973 Bell & Bain moved to modern premises in Burnfield Road, Thornliebank. Now part of the OakHill Group, which has its headquarters in Dublin, Bell & Bain have adapted to new technology, and continue to successfully produce short-run and specialist books and journals.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1508
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Andrew Bain Memorial Collection, Bell & Bain, bookbinders, books, journals, Mitchell Library, OakHill Group, pamphlets, printers, printing, publishers