The paddle steamer Waverley with King George V Bridge in the background. The photograph appeared in the June 1993 issue of the Glasgow City Council newspaper The Bulletin, with the story that the steamer would continue to receive financial support from the Council for the programme of summer sailings "doon the watter".
The Waverley is the world's only surviving sea-going paddle steamer. Built in 1947 by A & J Inglis of Pointhouse, she fulfilled her intended role as Clyde cruise ship and ferry until in 1974, by now regarded as obsolete, she was taken out of service. However, the ship was bought by the Waverley Steam Navigation Co, a company set up by the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, and a great deal of money was spent to make her serviceable again. The gamble paid off, as a wave of nostalgia helped attract passengers on the Firth of Clyde and also on the south coast of England. Despite high maintenance costs, the Waverley remains at the beginning of the 21st century.
Reference: Bulletin Photographs, Box 11, June 1993
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
A & J Inglis, bridges, Bulletin, doon the watter, ferries, Firth of Clyde, King George V Bridge, Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, paddle steamers, River Clyde, ships, steamships, Waverley, Waverley Steam Navigation Co