Provan Hall in Auchinlea Park, Easterhouse, photographed c 1900.
The hall is thought to date from the late 15th century, around the same period as Provand's Lordship. It belonged to the prebendary of Provan, or Barlanark, and was the country seat of the prebendary. In 1667 it was bought and maintained by the city of Glasgow, before reverting to private ownership a century later. A dwelling house was added to the older block in the 18th century. In 1938 Provan Hall was acquired by the National Trust for Scotland, and subsequently leased to Glasgow City Council. No longer in a rural setting, it is surrounded by council houses.
In 2003 Glasgow City Council announced its support for a plan to restore Provan Hall. The hall and the Auchinlea Park site will become the responsibility of a new heritage trust which will seek funding to restore the buildings and develop a purpose-built visitors centre.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, TD1271/2/8
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Auchinlea Park, country houses, Glasgow City Council, heritage trusts, mansions, National Trust for Scotland, prebendary of Barlanark, prebendary of Provan, Provan Hall, Provand's Lordship, visitor centres