Lochwood House, Easterhouse, pictured in a booklet issued around 1906 by William Moyes & Sons, 115 Bothwell Street, to advertise their acetylene gas lighting. Moyes fitted lighting systems in large houses across Scotland.
Lochwood House was built around 1820 for the Bairds of Gartsherrie who owned most of the land in the area and had extensive iron and coal interests in Monklands. The National Coal Board purchased the house in the 1940s, primarily to secure mining rights on the estate. It was used as a home for pensioners until they were re-housed in Easterhouse. By the 1960s the house had become derelict and was demolished.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.769620941443 WIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
acetylene, Bairds of Gartsherrie, coal, coalmasters, gas, iron, ironmasters, lighting, Lochwood House, mansions, National Coal Board, William Moyes & Sons