Argyle Street has traditionally been one of Glasgow's busiest thoroughfares and this postcard scene from around 1905 gives a typical view. Pedestrians and vehicles appear to be unregulated as they compete for space at the crossing with Jamaica Street.
A westward extension of Trongate, Argyle Street is one of Glasgow's longest streets and extends to Kelvingrove Park in the West End. Originally named Westergait, then Anderston Walk, it was renamed, in 1751, Argyle Street after the Duke of Argyle. Though it was developed as a site for housing for the Glasgow merchants in the 18th century, it is now one of the principal shopping streets in the city and houses some of the city's finest examples of 19th century shopping architecture, such as the Argyle Arcade and the retail warehouse developments at the corner with Buchanan Street.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
postcards, shopping, shops, streetscenes, traffic congestion, trams, warehouses