A postcard view of the shop front of the Glasgow Boot Warehouse at Paterson Street, Kingston, early 20th century. It was the retail outlet for boots and shoes produced by the Scottish Co-operative and Retail Society
The Society acquired a large block of property in Paterson Street and Laidlaw Street in 1897 and the Boot Warehouse was transferred there from nearby Wallace Street in 1903. The shop had a considerable turnover, with sales in 1929 amounting to £897,793, while it employed 154 staff.
The footwear sold at the Warehouse was produced at the SCWS boot and shoe factory at Shieldhall, which opened in 1888. It also grew to be a massive undertaking. Along with a smaller factory in Adelphi Street, it had 939 employees in 1929. Leather was imported from all over the world to make footwear ranging from heavy workboots to elegant ladies' shoes.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
boot & shoe makers, boot & shoe retailers, boot makers, boots, co-operatives, Glasgow Boot Warehouse, leather, postcards, Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society, SCWS, shoe makers, shoe shops, shoes