The impressive chancel of St Ninian's Church at 1 Albert Drive, Pollokshields is illustrated in this 1910 postcard. The stained glass windows in the background were created by the London firm of Heaton, Butler & Bayne.
St Ninian's was the first Episcopal church to be built on the south side of Glasgow, and was popular with many of the English and Irish artisans and their families who had settled in and around the Gorbals. The church was begun in 1872 on land to the south of the Gorbals, given by Sir John Maxwell, and opened in 1877. The architect was David Thomson.
The first rector of St Ninian's was Dean Michael Hutchison, who was associated with the congregation for half a century until his retirement in 1920. The building was extended in 1887, although plans for a spire remained unfulfilled. The church was successful both financially and in terms of the size of congregation, which enabled several other Episcopal churches to be built as the population grew on the south side of Glasgow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
chancels, churches, Heaton, Butler & Bayne, postcards, Scottish Episcopal Church, St. Ninian's Church, stained glass windows