The first Glasgow directory was published in 1783 by John Tait. This image is taken from a facsimile reprint published in 1871 by Robert Forrester. Page 61 includes surnames from Small to Shaw.
John and William Shaw set up business as booksellers and bookbinders in 1774. The business survived the death of William Shaw in 1798 but ceased trading in 1800.
John Struthers was a Gallowgate brewer and maltster. During the 1770s he learned the secrets of brewing porter from Nathaniel Chivers, an English brewer who had been employed for the same purpose by Murdoch, Warroch & Co of the Anderston Brewery. Porter soon became one of the city's most famous exports.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 914.14351
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bookbinders, booksellers, directories, family history, genealogy, John Tait's Directory