Designed by the architect Herbert J Rowse (who had also designed the Mersey Tunnel), the United Kingdom Government Pavilion at the 1938 Empire Exhibition was situated to the north-west of Bellahouston Park on the Kingsway avenue, overlooked by the deluxe Atlantic Restaurant.
The features of special interest at the pavilion were listed in the official guide as; the wheel house and chart room of a cargo liner; a miniature hospital; a working model of a coal mine; a model blast furnace and an 11 feet tall mechanical man. These attractions were housed in two main areas, the Fitter Britain Exhibit and three halls arranged by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research devoted to the coal, iron, steel and shipbuilding industries.
To the north (right) of the Government Pavilion was the Concert Hall where orchestras including the London Philharmonic and stars such as Paul Robeson and Will Fyffe performed.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Atlantic Restaurant, blast furnaces, British Government Pavilion, cargo liners, coal mines, Concert Hall, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Empire Exhibition, Fitter Britain Exhibit, London Philharmonic Orchestra, mechanical men, miniature hospitals, pavilions, restaurants, shipbuilding, steel, United Kingdom Government Pavilion