The Garden Club building at the Scottish Exhibition in 1911. In the foreground, left, is the Grosvenor Restaurant. Both buildings overlooked the amphitheatre, right, where seating was provided for 10,000 spectators to enjoy concerts at the bandstand.
The Garden Club was reserved for a limited membership of 1,000, each of whom paid two guineas. It was fully subscribed well before the Exhibition opened. The Club was used to entertain the Duke and Duchess of Connaught on opening day and its dining and tea rooms were rated highly.
The Grosvenor Restaurant was considered to provide the best food available to the public. It was run by McKillop & Sons, who had the monopoly for licensed premises and had two other restaurants on the site.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f606.4 (1911)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
amphitheatres, bandstands, concerts, exhibitions, Garden Club, Grosvenor Restaurant, McKillop & Sons, restaurants, Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, tea rooms