In 1934 the Paramount cinema, designed by Frank T Verity and Samuel Beverly for the American Paramount Corporation, opened at the corner of Renfield Street and West Regent Street. A striking neon lit exterior, with a 6 feet high name sign, immediately made it a dominant Glasgow landmark. A sumptuous interior, including a cafe and restaurant, emphasised the Paramount's standing as the top city centre cinema and there were regularly full houses of 2,784 patrons.
A change of ownership in 1939 resulted in a change of name to the Odeon. In the 1960s, the management took advantage of the full stage and orchestra facilities to attract top acts such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan. Conversion to three separate cinemas making up the Odeon Film Centre in 1970 ensured that audience figures remained high, as did further subdivision to a six screen complex in 1986.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1930
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Beatles, cinemas, films, neon, Odeon, Odeon Film Centre, Paramount, restaurants, Rolling Stones