The Grand Theatre, at the corner of Stewart Street and Cowcaddens Street in Cowcaddens, opened in 1881 with a capacity of 2030. It had previously been the Prince of Wales Theatre but was completely refurbished for its change of name.
Originally a variety theatre, the Grand also staged productions of opera and pantomime. In 1909 it was taken over by Moss Empires Ltd.
The theatre was destroyed by fire in 1989 and the New Grand Picture House was built on the site.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Grand Theatre, Moss Empires, music halls, New Grand Picture House, opera, pantomimes, Prince of Wales Theatre, theatres, variety