Sir James Marwick (1826-1908) was an historian and Glasgow’s Town Clerk, 1873-1904.
Marwick was an Orcadian who became Edinburgh's Town Clerk in 1860. He established a reputation as an authority on municipal law and published books and reports on municipal affairs and the history of Edinburgh.
In 1873 Marwick was offered a salary of £2,500 per annum (three times his previous salary) to succeed Angus Turner as Glasgow's Town Clerk. He used his influence to promote the expansion of the city's boundaries and the erection of the City Chambers as a symbol of municipal confidence and wealth.
Marwick wrote several books on the history of Glasgow, the best-known being The River Clyde and the Harbour of Glasgow (1898). He was knighted in 1888.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
authors, City Chambers, Glasgow Cathedral, historians, Scott Monument, Town Clerks