The Vehicular Ferry Finnieston crossing from Mavisbank Quay to Finnieston, c 1890s. The 50-ton Finnieston Crane is partly hidden behind the ferry.
The Finnieston was built in 1890 and could carry up to eight carts and 300 passengers. It was a double-ended "elevating deck ferry", with an elevating platform deck that could be raised or lowered by steam winches to the level of the landing quays, no matter how low or high the tide. Elevating deck ferries were subsequently introduced at the Govan and the Whiteinch crossings. The Finnieston vehicular ferry service was discontinued in 1966.
Reference: T-CN 19-004-015
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cranes, elevating deck ferries, Finnieston crane, Finnieston Ferry, Glasgow Harbour, pollution, River Clyde, smog, vehicular ferries