A portrait of John Gibson Fleming (1809-1879) which was painted by Sir Daniel Macnee after the sitter's death, probably from a photograph.
Fleming graduated MD from the University of Glasgow in 1830 and studied subsequently in Paris. He entered the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 1833, serving as their president from 1865 to 1868 and from 1870 until 1872. He was a visiting surgeon at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 1846-1849 and 1853-1856, and was the Manager there from 1850. Fleming also represented the Faculty on the General Medical Council from 1862 until 1878.
When the University of Glasgow relocated to Gilmorehill in 1872 the students' clinical teaching was transferred from the Royal to the wards of the new Glasgow Western Infirmary. Fleming was instrumental in the foundation in 1876 of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary Medical School, which ensured that the Royal did not lose its status as a teaching hospital. He was also chief medical adviser to Scottish Amicable Life Assurance Society.
Reference: RCPSG, Illustrations used in The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow by Tom Gibson
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, General Medical Council, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow Royal Infirmary School of Medicine, Glasgow Western Infirmary, life assurance societies, medical advisers, portraits, presidents, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Scottish Amicable Life Assurance Society, surgeons, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals