Nurses and babies at the Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital c 1920s.
The Royal Maternity Hospital was founded in 1834 and was originally called the Glasgow Lying-In Hospital and Dispensary. It moved from Greyfriars Wynd to St Andrew's Square in 1841 and then in 1860 to the Rottenrow. In 1914 the hospital became the Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital but it retained its popular nickname, "The Rottenrow".
On the left in the front row is Mary McKillop Brown, who later worked as a midwife and as what was popularly known as a "green lady" - a health visitor.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
babies, childbirth, Glasgow Lying-In Hospital and Dispensary, Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital, Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, green ladies, health visitors, hospitals, midwives, nurses, the Rottenrow, women