A class photograph of boys at Abbotsford Public School and their teacher c 1924.
Abbotsford Public School was opened in 1879 by the Glasgow School Board. The Jewish population of Laurieston and the Gorbals increased significantly after 1891, as Jews fled persecution in Eastern Europe. By the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Abbotsford had a large number of Jewish pupils.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archive
Abbotsford Primary School, Abbotsford Public School, boys, children, immigrants, Jews, Primary Schools, teachers, women