The Drygate, near the Duke's Lodgings, 1843 by William Simpson.
The painting shows the view looking west from the Drygate towards Rottenrow. The thatched house on the left may originally have been the Manse of the Rector of Cambuslang. In 1665 it belonged to the Earl of Glencairn, who sold it to the Town Council for use as a House of Correction.
In the foreground a woman is weighing and selling goods.
This watercolour is one of a series of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. Most are based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which originally appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 765.89.245 / 892.f
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Duke's Lodgings, gaols, House of Correction, jails, manses, paintings, prisons, street traders, streetscenes, tenements, thatched roofs, watercolours, weighing scales, women