The Papermaker by Stephen Adam, c 1878, one of twenty stained glass windows made for Maryhill Burgh Halls depicting local trades and professions. This window shows a man at work in a papermill.
The paper making industry was established on the River Kelvin in 1690 at Woodside. In 1746 Edward Collins set up a paper mill at Kelvindale. The river did not have the constant flow of water he needed to power his mill and he relocated to Dalmuir, but Edward Collins & Sons returned to the area in 1840 after acquired a steam-powered paper mill at Balgray. The quality of the company's paper was widely praised.
James Macarthur & Co started another paper making business on the Kelvin around 1750, on the site now occupied by the Dalsholm Industrial Estate. The firm became a private limited company in 1890 before being taken over in 1934 and eventually becoming part of the Associated Paper Group.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Associated Paper Group, Dalsholm Industrial Estate, Dalsholm Paper Mills, Edward Collins & Sons, James Macarthur & Co, Maryhill Burgh Halls, paper mills, papermakers/merchants, stained glass windows