Glasgow Bridge c 1900.
The sailing ship in the foreground is a gabbart. Gabbarts were common in the West Coast of Scotland from the 17th century onwards. They were usually owned by their skippers and transported trade goods along the coast and to the islands. On the north bank opposite is a Clutha, one of a small fleet of passenger ferries which worked on the River Clyde until 1903.
Paisley's Clothiers on the corner of Jamaica Street supplied uniforms - to men in the merchant navy, to chauffeurs and so on. The department store also sold overalls and other working clothes, suits and formal wear. The Central Station Bridge is on the left, and the spire of St Enoch's Church is on the skyline to the right.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bridges, Central Station Bridge, churches, Cluthas, department stores, ferries, gabbarts, Glasgow Bridge, Jamaica Street Bridge, Paisley's Clothiers, sailing boats, spires, St Enoch's Parish Church, steam boats