Great Western Road, c 1913, looking east to Kelvinbridge on a sunny afternoon. In the distance is the spire of Lansdowne Parish Church and behind it the spire of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral.
The low building next to the Hillhead Warehouse on the left was rebuilt in art deco style in the early 1930s as Walter Hubbard's bakery and tearoom. It became a pub and nightclub in the 1980s. On the other side of the street are Birrell's sweetie shop and the Buttercup Dairy, the latter now recreated in the People's Palace museum at Glasgow Green. At the end of the block is a branch of Cooper's, the grocery chain, with its distinctive clock tower.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Birrells, bridges, Buttercup Dairy Co, children, churches, clock towers, Cooper & Co, Coopers, Great Western Bridge, Hillhead Warehouse, Lansdown Parish Church, motor cars, shops, St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, standard cars, street lighting, streetscene, trams, Walter Hubbard's Tearoom, women