The Albion Motor Car Co factory at Scotstoun under construction, 1903.
The Albion Motor Car Co was the brainchild of Norman Fulton and T Blackwood Murray, who had previously worked with George Johnston in the Mo-Car Co. Frustrated with the direction provided by Johnston they left the Mo-Car syndicate in 1899 and formed Albion in December 1899. Murray's father took a loan out on his farm to give the young men some working capital.
At first Albion was based in the top floors of the Clan Line repair shop in Finnieston Street, employing only seven men. However, the new venture proved successful and produced about sixty cars by 1902. Larger premises were required and in 1903 the firm opened a new factory in Scotstoun and began to manufacture lorries as well as cars there.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Albion Motor Car Co, car factories, factories, lorries, Mo-Car Co, motor cars, trucks