East Campbell Street United Presbyterian Church in Calton, 1875.
The Relief Church congregation built a church on East Campbell Street in 1792 and (after becoming United Presbyterian in 1847) replaced it with this building in 1864. It was designed by Haig & Low, with an impressive facade in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo with Doric pilasters and had 1,400 sittings.
In 1926 the congregation united with the nearby Sydney Place United Free Church. In 1932 the old building was converted to become the East Campbell Street Lodging House Mission, an organisation established in 1907 as a joint project of the Presbytery of Glasgow and the Church of Scotland Home Board to help meet the needs of the homeless.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Church of Scotland Home Board, Doric, East Campbell Street Lodging House Mission, East Campbell Street Relief Church, East Campbell Street United Presbyterian Church, Haig & Low, homeless, hostels, lipasters, lodging houses, Presbytery of Glasgow, Renaissance