Advertisement for the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, in Ygorra, January 1937. The hospital had opened in 1882 at Scott Street in Garnethill. As a voluntary hospital, the costs of its buildings, staffing and running were met by endowments, subscriptions and other donations. It also served as a nurses' training hospital and a teaching hospital for medical students.
The hospital moved to Yorkhill in 1914, and was officially opened by King George V and Queen Mary. In 1968-1971 a new Royal Hospital for Sick Children was erected alongside the Queen Mother's Hospital there.
At the beginning of the 21st century the "Sick Kids'" remains the principal children's hospital in the West of Scotland and one of the three big paediatric centres in the UK. It has around 325 beds and thirty NICU cots, more than 100 consultants and twenty-five specialist registrars. In addition to providing hospital care for sick children from Glasgow it provides specialist tertiary care in many sub-specialties including cardiology, oncology-haematology, renal disease and neonatal surgery.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/16
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, infirmaries, nursing, paediatrics, Queen Mother's Maternity Hospital, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Royal visits, Sick Kids' Hospital, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, West of Scotland Regional Genetics Service, Ygorra, Yorkhill NHS Trust