The water carried from Loch Katrine Reservoir emerges from the longest section of the pipeline at the holding reservoir at Mugdock in Milngavie, only 9 miles from Glasgow's city centre. This photograph by Thomas Annan, c 1876, shows the gauge basin at Mugdock, from which water can be drawn directly on to the city or redirected to the holding reservoir.
Mugdock Reservoir is 50 feet deep and has a capacity of 548 million gallons of water which, in 1876, could have met the city's needs for eighteen days with enough pressure to reach all but a few of the city's higher points. The water was originally carried from Mugdock in two pipelines, each of 3 feet in diameter. Two more pipelines were laid in 1872-1873.
Reference: D-WA 22/1/23
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
gauge basins, holding reservoirs, Mugdock Reservoir, pipelines, pools, public water supply