Skip Navigation / Jump to Content

Featured Images

Gas worker
Gas worker

King's Theatre
King's Theatre

Fire in Mitchell Street

Glasgow City Archives, Deposited Collections

*Open in New Window
Fire in Mitchell Street

A photograph showing the result of a fire at 66-70 Mitchell Street on 7 August 1892. The building was gutted and the ground floor premises of wine and spirit merchant Samuel Dow, wholesale stationers Martin, Cleland & Taylor and cycle agents Gibbon & Co were burnt out.

The fire started on the building's second floor at about 3am and even though forty firemen attended the blaze, the roof had fallen in by 4am as the Fire Service concentrated on preventing the spread of the flames. Burning embers were carried on the wind as far as George Square and High Street. As a result of the accident, 250 telephone wires were destroyed.

Reference: TD 338/23/25

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning

cycle agents, fires, Gibbon & Co, Glasgow Fire Brigade, Glasgow Fire Service, Martin, Cleland & Taylor, Samuel Dow, telephone lines, telephones, wholesale stationers, wine and spirit merchants

Quick Search

Photo Album

You have 0 images in your photo album.

View Photo Album

Log-In (Optional)

Not a user? Register now for FREE!

Other Options