An advertisement from the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1855-1856 for Alexander Mackenzie, a clock maker and telegraph instrument maker in Buchanan Court, off Argyle Street.
The first electric telegraph was developed in 1837 and the invention was quickly adopted by railway companies to assist with communications between stations and to assist signalling. By the 1850s private companies had been created to set up telegraph stations across Britain and provide access to a vast new fast communications network.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1855-56
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, clock makers, directories, instrument makers, Post Office Glasgow Directory, telegraph instrument manufacturers, telegraphs, telegraphy