A postcard showing The Avenue in Bellahouston Park c 1906. The park is situated off Paisley Road West and was purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1895. Adjacent land was added to the park in 1901 and 1903. Bellahouston had its own 9-hole municipal golf course and a range of facilities for football, hockey and other ball games, as well as "ample space for perambulation" along its tree-lined footpaths and avenues. It hosted the Empire Exhibition in 1938 of which only the Palace of Art building remains.
The park is now home to the Glasgow Ski Centre and to the Bellahouston Sports Centre, one of the city's largest indoor complexes.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bellahouston Park, Bellahouston Sports Centre, Empire Exhibition, footpaths, Glasgow Ski Centre, leisure centres, Palace of Art, parks, postcards, sports centres, woodlands